There are times when everyone-myself included-needs a little help in the kitchen. These ten tips for better baked goods should help you elevate your breads, cakes, cookies and more to the next level of yumminess.
1. When baking bread, keep a small bowl of water in the oven. It will help keep the crust from getting hard.
2. Cookie dough that needs to be rolled out should be refrigerated for at least an hour before using to lessen sticking.
3. Pie crust is easier to make when all of the ingredients are cool.
4. Sprinkle baked cakes with powdered sugar before frosting to help the frosting stay in place.
5. To prevent chocolate chips or fruit from sinking in your batters, toss them in flour first.
6. Store yeast in the refrigerator or freezer for best results.
7. Always scrape your bowls when making batters and doughs. This ensures you aren’t leaving any important ingredients in the bottom of the bowl.
8. For added color and luster, brush the top of bread crusts, scones, rolls and biscuits with cream just before baking. For a little extra dazzle, sprinkle with a little sugar.
9. No matter how tempting it is, do not open the oven door while baking. It disrupts the temperature and your bake time.
10. Don’t overfill cake, muffin or bread pans. Pans should be filled no more than 2/3 full or messes can happen.